Friday 24 February 2012

What lessons I've learnt from publishing my first book?



What lessons have you learnt from publishing your first book?

I've learnt a couple of things recently and it's a good job you can republish your book electronically really quickly.
1. Carefully select the friends who can and will edit your work efficiently and honestly.
I have many fiends who are writers of various disciplines but some are better than others.Someone who I'd previously not thought of for editing has just provided really valuable advice and criticism that will take a while to fix and another who I thought would be ideal just didn't want to help in enough detail. Lesson learnt - don't discount anyone until they've done you one favor.

2. Provide all editors with the best draft you can have not a crap first copy. In my haste to get a book out there I irritated some friends by giving them a first draft that wasn't really worthy of name. Make sure it's at least readable and all your tenses are in order.

3. Don't be too hasty to get the book out. Slow down and step back from it for a while.

So what have you done that you won't do again?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets